Teeth whitening is a non-invasive cosmetic dental procedure to brighten your smile and restore the original shine of your teeth using bleaching agents like peroxide. The yellowing of your teeth is triggered due to smoking or drinking coffee, tea, aerated drinks, etc. If left untreated, the stains may darken with time, or the teeth themselves may be discolored. Teeth can be stained due to age-related factors, or they may be intrinsic or extrinsic as well.
Reasons for Teeth Whitening
- When excess fluoride is consumed during teeth formation, fluorosis may occur. Teeth whitening can remove this.
- Wear out of the outer teeth layer (enamel) due to aging or tooth grinding
- Certain medications may stain the teeth.
- Stains formed due to consuming excessive coffee, tea, or smoking
Preparing for Teeth Whitening
- Old flings and crowns should be removed as teeth whitening only works on teeth enamel.
- Teeth should be scaled and polished to get rid of tartar or plaque for an effective whitening procedure.
- Teeth should be checked for cracks and cavities. They should be treated before teeth whitening.
Process of Teeth Whitening- In-Office
The dentist examines the teeth for any dental disease during the first appointment. The teeth are cleaned, and cavities are filled before teeth whitening to avoid the whitening gel from getting in them.
The mouth is held open using a rubber or plastic appliance, and a barrier is placed to protect the gums from the whitening gel. After this, the whitening gel is applied to the front surface of the teeth using a syringe. The gel is activated using a laser and is left for a few minutes before rinsing the mouth. The procedure is repeated three or more times at an interval of 20 minutes, as per the requirements of an individual patient.
Teeth Whitening at Home
Teeth whitening strips and gels are applied directly on the teeth twice a day for 14 days. Once treated, the result stays for four months, after which the gels can be reapplied.
A mouth guard is filled with bleaching agents and left on the teeth for an hour in the tray-based teeth bleaching system. The effects of the treatment last for approximately six months.
Teeth whitening pastes and mouthwashes are also effective.
Taking Care After the Treatment
- Do not consume anything for 2 hours immediately after the treatment.
- Avoid drinking colored beverages like coffee, red wine, beet juice, or acidic beverages like soft drinks, as this might stain the teeth again.
- Do not smoke for a few days after the treatment.
Please reach out to Cascade Dental Group in Salem, OR, to consult with our Dentists in Salem OR, Dr. Dahl and Dr. Coulombe. Please call us at (503) 399-0724 or schedule an online consultation, and we'll guide you further.